- Other Apps
STATEMENT ON THE ORDER OF THE FEDERAL HIGH COURT ABUJA ON 27TH OCTOBER 2017 WITH RESPECT TO THE GUBERNATORIAL CANDIDATE OF THE ALL PROGRESSIVES GRAND ALLIANCE (APGA) FOR THE ANAMBRA GOVERNORSHIP ELECTIONS
Following the spread of spurious and deliberate false news by some online platforms which erroneously claim that a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has restrained His Excellency, Chief Willie Obiano from parading himself as the authentic candidate of APGA in the forthcoming gubernatorial polls in Anambra state. It has become necessary to provide immediate clarifications to avoid further confusion amongst the party faithful and discerning members of the public. The facts of the matter are as follows:
1. There is no such order or ruling by any court in Abuja or anywhere in Nigeria and His Excellency, Chief Willie Obiano is still the authentic candidate of APGA.
2. We are aware that one Martin Agbaso approached the Federal High Court, Abuja through an originating summons seeking some reliefs. The reliefs include; an exparte’ application for interim injunction restraining His Excellency, Chief Willie Obiano as the authentic candidate of APGA; to stop the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from recognizing him as APGA flag-bearer, and order for substituted service of the court processes.
3. However, the presiding Judge, Hon. Justice J.T. Tsoho declined the appliacnts’ request for an interim order of injunction restraining both INEC and Chief Obiano. The Honourable judge merely agreed that Chief Willie Obiano can be served the court processes by substituted means hence the publication in Sun Newspapers of today 30/10/2017 and an order for accelerated hearing of the suit. The court’s ruling was merely procedural and is to ensure that parties to the matter are duly informed.
4. As a law abiding political party whose gubernatorial candidate emerged through the most transparent process observed and certified by the electoral umpire, APGA is confident that no amount of blackmail or false rumour can stop its march to victory in the November polls.
5. Therefore Ndi Anambra and all APGA faithful are urged to disregard the antics of the desperate opposition who have resorted to distorting the facts using pliable internet habitués to peddle misleading news.
Barr Ifeanyi Mbaeri
National Legal Adviser, APGA
More pictures after cut.....